On day 10 of our 12 days of ELEVATE series we are featuring Steve Richard, the founder of VorsightBP. Steve is a sales scientist who is passionate about the top funnel, and helping front line reps get better.
Today’s sales organizations, Steve highlights, are hiring a lot more junior reps, recent college grads, and they know very little about business, the way it works, the politics of how decisions are made. Yet sales leaders dump hundreds of sales leads on their laps. So many of these reps are following up on these leads mindlessly, calling quickly, and if they don’t get a response they move on. Simply squandering opportunities.
Here are five tips that Steve offers to help sales teams stop squandering sales leads:
- Invest resources appropriately – Start by working with marketing to define together your ideal profile. Then score inbound leads based on key attributes and behavior of your buyers, and invest resources appropriately.
- Teach sales people how to fish – If you go in the middle of the Atlantic, probability is you won’t catch fish, fish are concentrated on banks. Same rule applies in sales, the prospects are concentrated in certain areas, so you need to teach your sales people how to identify where the prospects are and use the right bait and fish there.
- Gain access – Get your prospects direct line. Calling through the switchboard won’t get you to the buyer.
- Always lead with 3X3 research – Spend three minutes researching to find three things about the company or contact that you can use in your conversation with them. What we find is that the best sales reps are those that are informed cowboys or cowgirls.
- Talk about the topic and the trend – Once you have gained access through their direct line, generated curiosity through 3X3 research, pivot the conversation into the topic. Start with something that is about your prospect and their peers, i.e. “when I talk to other sales leaders, heads of inside sales they tell me…”
Here is the psychology of why this works according to Steve. “People value more what they asked for than what is freely offered and people value more what they conclude for themselves then what they are told.”
To watch Steve’s full session on demand, sign up for ELEVATE.
Alyssa Trenkamp is the director of marketing communications at Velocify and a 15 year veteran in the enterprise technology sector. Prior to Velocify, Alyssa spent nearly a decade as a marketing and public relations consultant for Microsoft. Alyssa holds a BA in Journalism from Western Washington University.